We feel a reminder wouldn’t hurt in light of a recent case where the pet tragically died.
Rodenticide Toxicity (Rat poison)
Rodenticide toxicity can be caused by any of several types of rodent poisons that fall into two general categories, anticoagulants and non-anticoagulants. ANTICOAGULANT RODENTICIDES work by interfering with the activation of Vitamin K, a critical component in the production of blood clotting factors in the liver. NON-ANTICOAGULANT RODENTICIDES vary in their mechanism of action and include bromethalin, strychnine, cholecalciferol, and zinc phosphide.
Rodenticides are TOXIC to many species of birds and mammals including PETS, farm animals, and wildlife species. The time between EXPOSURE AND DEVELOPMENT of clinical signs is dependent upon the specific chemical and amount consumed.
Ingestion of a significant amount of ANTICOAGULANT rodenticides results in interference with blood coagulation and spontaneous bleeding. Specific CLINICAL SIGNS can include widespread bruising, bleeding into body cavities, and blood in the urine or feces; if the bleeding is sudden and significant, then cardiovascular shock and death can result. Bleeding can occur INTERNALLY OR EXTERNALLY and can affect any part of the body.
NON-ANTICOAGULANT rodenticide toxicity symptoms are more variable and are dependent on the chemical and dose. The CLINICAL SIGNS include rapid onset of seizures, muscle tremors, limb weakness, ataxia, neurologic signs, respiratory paralysis, anorexia, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy.
IF YOUR PET HAS INGESTED RODENT POISON, CONTACT YOUR VETERINARIAN IMMEDIATELY.!!
Bring with you the product packaging, as it will help identify the type of poison and proper course of treatment.
Treatment may involve hospitalization, medications to counteract the effect of the toxin, blood transfusions, intravenous fluids and anti-seizure medications.